Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Cheap Stuff

This conversation I overheard my wife having with our kids recently…. 

(kid) Can we go to Dollar General?

(mom) Why?

(kid) I have my allowance money and I want to buy some stuff.

(mom) Why don't you save some and get something better?

(kid) Because I love that stuff…

Our kids save up a little of their allowance money and they want to go to, of all places, one of the "dollar" stores. Nothing against the dollar stores or the company or employees, but the stuff my kids want to buy is junk with a capital J. They come home with these toys that last all of 3 seconds before they break leading to immediate pleas for duct tape or glue fixes.

From our (parental - me and my wife) perspective, we see the folly of wasting money on junk. I say this all the time about tech or electronic stuff. As with m,ugh of life, You get what you pay for. Pay for junk and you get, yes you guessed it, JUNK!

Why is it, though, that we waste our personal resources on cheap stuff? Seriously, think about it! God gives us so much - time, money, relationships, spiritual gifts, health, trials, struggles, and so on and so forth. Why do we often waste the special resources that God gives us on cheap stuff that will not last for a day, a season, or especially not eternity?

As a child of the Most High God I am created and given purpose for more than cheap stuff. My life has been radically changed by the grace of God for noble and high purposes. A few verses come to mind about all this:


Now in a large house there are not only gold and silver bowls, but also those of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable. So if anyone purifies himself from anything dishonorable, he will be a special instrument, set apart, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.   * 2 Timothy 2:20-21


He poured out this Spirit on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior so that, having been justified by His grace, we may become heirs with the hope eternal.  * Titus 3:6-7

Those are a few random thoughts and insight into my mind today. Don't waste any resources of your life on junk or cheap stuff that will not last or bring you true fulfillment. Be challenged and encouraged to spend all of God's gifts today for His honor and glory - for noble purposes and Spirit lead endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment