Friday, April 21, 2017

2017 Devotional Word #15: PEACE

Not too long ago, my wife and I were singing in the car - one of the many reasons I fell in love with her in college. It just so happened that we were listening to the 80s channel on XM radio. My youngest daughter had the nerve to chime in and call it "oldies" music.  I'm a child of the 80s... yes, I left childhood and ventured into my teen years during this amazing decade. Let's face it... our music was and is much better than most of the junk today. Lol.


I can remember as a kid in the 80s being worried about the very real "Cold War" threat of conflict between the United States and the former Soviet Union - U.S.S.R. Then the first gulf war took place my senior year of high school and I had registered for the selective service (draft). I was genuinely worried I might get drafted if things didn't go well. There was a lot of tension back then and the real threat of Nuclear and other types of war was always in our minds and the news. 


30+ years later (yes that ages me), not much has changed. Access any type of news you can on your phone, tablet, radio or tv and it's always right there. Tensions run high. Political upheaval and regime change. Threat of war and other conflicts at home and overseas. Even today, the big news is that China is on high alert due to the issues in North Korea. There will always be some conflict or crisis confronting each of us every day. Many of us wake up every day saying, "when will it come to an end... give me a break, please!" We all want PEACE. We all need PEACE.

If you are longing for PEACE - internally and externally - you won't find it apart from a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. We will all have trouble, but through God we can have a PEACE beyond even what our minds can comprehend.  

Here are the words of Jesus as recorded in John 14 and 16...


In the midst of failure, brokenness, war, chaos, stress, worry, doubt, fear and everything else that is buzzing around you, you can have PEACE from the Lord above. It is perfect in its timing and ministry to your heart and soul.

Peace!

P.S. For the record, I did NOT like some of the music of the 80s - especially the New Kids on the Block!

No comments:

Post a Comment