Monday, February 6, 2017

2017 Devotional Word #6: GODLINESS

GODLINESS

"Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for Godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance." ~ 1 Timothy 4:7-9

Well, the NFL season came to a wild end last night in the Super Bowl. I started thinking about all the work and preparation that went into the season for each of these teams. Coaches. Players. Assistants. Other personnel. Management. Owners. Thinking of just the players for a moment, can you imagine the physical training these guys go through all year long to keep themselves in top form?! It's truly amazing seeing these professional athletes at the top of their game... yes, even Tom Brady. C'mon man! He is 39 years old and looks like he could easily play for another 5 years (I hope not for the Dolphin's sake).

I've been going to the YMCA faithfully 2-3 times over week for the last 4 months. My goal is to get in and stay in shape. I usually do the elliptical machine for 30 minutes and then some of the weight machines as well. Physically I am not the person I was 20 years ago... ok, not even what I was 10 years ago. There is value for me to be physically healthy and in shape. But what about my heart? How about my mind? This passage in 1 Timothy does reference the value of physical training, but is quick to speak of the greater value of Godliness.

Godliness doesn't happen instantly once you become a Christian. You have to work at it every day. Take a day off and your attitudes and actions will definitely suffer. To be Godly, you need to train: spend time in the Scriptures, pray and meditate in the Spirit, worship regularly on your own and with other believers, and spend quality time with other people you consider Godly.

Keep training your body and stay in shape to have a better quality of life. But please don't forget to work out your heart and mind, your Godliness will have value for this life and the one to come!

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment