Tuesday, February 28, 2017

2017 Devotional Word #9: OBEDIENCE

So, we got this dog a few years ago. His name is Bo "Duke" Johnson. Yes... his name is a double shout out to the Blue Devils and the Dukes of Hazard.


I was naive enough to think that Bo would like me the best.  After all, I was the one to take care of him when he was a puppy -AND- my wife, Erin, only had cats growing up and doesn't even like dogs!

As Bo got older and bigger, I noticed a shift in loyalty. I began to realize that Bo was getting more attached to Erin. In fact, something happened one day that confirmed my fears... my dog Bo loves my wife more than me. It happened while I was telling Bo, who incidentally loves socks and dirty dishtowels, to go to his room. While he was ignoring me in pure defiance, Erin calmly walks into the room and tells Bo in a soft voice, "Bo, go to your room." Instantly, he got up and went to his room.

I was devastated... my dog's obedient actions proved that had given his heart to my wife. Don't get me wrong, he still likes me but only when I have food or something else he wants to beg for.

I say all this because the word I want to share about this week is OBEDIENCE. That story is simple illustration of a powerful Biblical truth! By his obedience (or lack of), our dog Bo is simply proving his loyalty and love. It's no different with our relationship with the Lord. Our obedience is a good measuring stick for our love for God.

Jesus, as recorded in John 14:15 (HCSB), declares, "If you love me, you will keep my commands." In John's first epistle, he says this: "And by this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. Whoever says `I know Him' but does not keep His commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected."(1 John 2:3-5, ESV)

It's pretty simple: If you love God, then obey His commands. If you know God, then you should have a genuine desire to demonstrate your connection to God by your actions.

Let's be clear: we do NOT obey God's commands to earn His love. Our obedience to His commands are simply and profoundly because we love Him. Being a Christ follower is not all about following some set of rules and laws. In fact, our obedience is the proof that our love is genuine!

If you say you love Jesus, then pour out your whole life to know His commands and follow in obedience!


1 comment:

  1. Obedience and discipline...the two most challenging charges found in the Bible in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete